Friday, August 15, 2014

Vids that caught my eye this week


I have a very wide musical palate and today's music blog will talk about some of the videos that caught my eye this week. I wondered what had happened to Jazmine Sullivan after she sang "Bust your windows". That song has to be one of the catchiest songs that talk about destroying personal property. She is back with a softer song though, a warning to girls to be more careful with their feelings. (The song does contain some explicit language).


Irene Diaz herself says that she genre hops with abandon. In this mini concert we see exactly what she means. She has a voice that captures your attention and can be playful at times and mournful and melancholy at others. Something about her reminds me of the deceased Amy Winehouse, I am not sure why. I will definitely be looking out for more from her in the future.


I like cumbia and Afropop worldwide often features cumbia bands from South America.  This instrumental from Lucho Bermudez also features some dancers whirling around like nobody's business.



Finally, Bunji Garlin is a soca singer from the twin island republic of Trinidad and Tobago. Bunji has been a mainstay of Trinidad's music scene for years but his song "Differentology" has brought him global recognition. While "Differentology" is a tad more mellow,  "Truck on D Road" though is unmistakably a party cut a song which when played on the road on Carnival Monday or Tuesday will send the crowd into a frenzy. This video encompasses the pageantry, frenzy, and debauchery that is Trinidad Carnival.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Flight of the Puffin by Ann Braden

 Middle school is such a weird time. As an educator, I witness firsthand every year how friendships change or are dropped, how kiddos start ...