Sunday, September 7, 2014

Octopus paper plate craft

  Some folks don't like to do crafts in their story time but I do. I find that it helps the children to , the parents or myself can use it as an added incentive to pay attention during story time and the manipulation of the small parts helps kids develop good motor skills.

  I am always amazed at the things that can be done with paper plates, they are so versatile and with a little paint, thread glue and some odds and ends you can really make some amazing things. These are the materials we will need for this craft:

-paper plates
-chenille sticks
-glue
-googly eyes
-pom poms





1. I punch holes in the plate. I didn't want to do too many because it would get too difficult to manage.






2. I inserted the chenille sticks into the holes. I decided to cut the sticks in half so the tentacles wouldn't look too long



3.  Next I add the googly eyes


4. Last, I put the pom poms on the plate and voila! An octopus!  This is a great supplementary craft to a story like Kevin Sherry's I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean.




This one made by a story time attendee came out really nice.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Flight of the Puffin by Ann Braden

 Middle school is such a weird time. As an educator, I witness firsthand every year how friendships change or are dropped, how kiddos start ...